What can be more personally satisfying than standing atop the highest peak in Africa? Tropical Trails outfits these climbs with the very best equipment and our own guides and porters to give you the climber, the best chance of reaching the summit. We specialize in the less frequented, more scenic routes such as the Machame
, Western Breach
, or Shira
but are also more than happy to organize a Marangu
ascent as well! There is no guarantee of success but our percentage of climbers to reach the summit is amongst the best of all operators!
Why Tropical Trails?
- Tropical Trails is one of the few Arusha-based companies that have a specific climbing and trekking license to operate on Kilimanjaro. We do NOT sub contract. Therefore, everything is run by Tropical Trails, so we control your trip.
- We provide you with a comprehensive pre-climb briefing by one of our professional safari and trekking consultants, and you will be given pre-trek briefing notes to take with you.
- Your safety is our number one concern, and our guides are in 24-hour contact with our base, in the event of an emergency, we can act immediately.
- Our guides are all Chagga people, born and raised on the mountain. They are all KINAPA trained and licensed (www.tanzaniaparks.com), and specifically chosen for their upbeat and adaptable personalities. More importantly, they know the importance of acclimatization and will make sure you trek "pole pole", giving you the best chance of summiting the mountain.
- Our cooks know how important their role is and will provide you will a healthy, carbohydrate rich diet, one that is not only nourishing but delicious.
- Our tents are top quality high-altitude tents. Our equipment is of the best standard and regularly maintained and replaced. We provide comfortable foam mattresses and complimentary four-season sleeping bags upon request.
- Your luggage will be placed in our specially designed waterproof bags carried by your porters, giving it that extra protection if it is wet on the mountain.
- Tropical Trails will provide you will all the necessary Pre-Departure information to ensure you are well prepared for your journey. Equipment lists, tips for the mountain, as well as a booklet containing information about Kilimanjaro, what to expect, how to trek safely, and various questions and answers are all supplied for your benefit.
7 Days Machame Adventure Sample Itinerary - Barafu Route (camping)
Day 0 - Arusha
Arrive in Arusha. Comprehensive pre trek briefing at Tropical Trails office.
Overnight Arusha at a lodge B
Day 1 - Machame Hut / Camp
Drive to Machame village. The trek begins from the gate winding up to the lush tropical forest and comes out in the heather moorland. Overnight at Machame Camp. (3000m) BLD
Day 2 - Shira Cave
From camp, a little valley is crossed which continues to a long steep ridge. The trek slowly ascends to Shira Plateau where the trek continues through open moorlands.
Overnight at Shira Cave. (3840m) BLD
Day 3 - Barranco Camp
A long trek to Barranco. This camp lies in a sheltered area below the spectacular cliffs of the Breach wall. The Breach wall, the dome of Uhuru and the edge of the Heim Glacier dominate the head of the valley.
Overnight at Barranco Camp. (3900m) BLD
Day 4 - Barafu Camp
In the morning trek to Barafu Camp. Huge glaciers and cliffs can be seen which mark the rugged terrain of this part of the mountain.
Overnight Barafu Camp. (4600m) BLD
Day 5 - Additional Acclimatization Day
When used, the additional day is taken either at Shira or Barranco or at the discretion of the guide and group BLD
Day 6 - High Camp
At midnight the trek begins up to the final steep, scree section to reach Stella Point. Walk steadily up the ridge and around the crater to reach Uhuru peak, your ultimate goal, for sunrise over Mawenzi Peak at 5895m. From the summit the trek descends to Mweka Hut/High Camp for a well deserved rest. (3000m) BLD
Day 7- Arusha
Covering the last section of the mountain, the trek continues down through the rain forest to the gate where your vehicle will be waiting to transport you back to Arusha for a well earned hot shower and cold Kilimanjaro beer! BL
Overnight Arusha in a lodge (included on Bed & Breakfast Basis)